Wednesday 18 July 2007

 

Hubby and I set off on sunday morning to Crown Point, one of the highest hill in the Pennines above Burnley. This was the first time for me to have seen the sculpture. On the way up, which took an hours walking, we encountered quite a few places of fly tipping, fridges, vacuums etc, there is no need for this, we do have a council rubbish dump. However, on a brighter note, the raspberries were abundant at the bottom of Woodplumpton Road, as were orchids part way up adjacent to the golf course. It was a dull morning yet warm, tied my cardi round my waist. One thing I did notice was an absence of skylarks and curlews. After an hour and 15 we eventually got to the singing ringing tree. It is constructed out of metal tubing and it is supposed to make sounds. It didnt!!! Not unless you put your ear up to one of the tubes. I must say though that it looks far better than the old brick radio transmittor station that was on the spot previously. By then it had begun a heavy drizzle, and looking down the Calder Valley to Tod, it was obvious where the bad weather was coming from. Do all bad things come out of Yorkshire? Dont bother answering that one. Studley Pike was barely visible, so we set off home. By the time we got to Healey Heights the rain had begun properly, but we were home in time to not get soaked.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sculpture like this always scares me don't know why have seen the Angel of the North from the motor way and a large sculpture to Benjamin Britian its called The Scallop  and is in Aldeburgh Suffock and was terrifed with both of them don't know what it is but thats what happens I get the strangest feeling if I go near. Bye the way I am not a usually like this. Love Joan.

Anonymous said...

Seems a long time since I last went on one of your walks. Thanks for sharing, it's lovely reading about your forays into the countryside. Took hubby out yesterday, unfortunately we aren't up to long walks anymore, so took a ride into the Chiltern Hills. Parked up in a lovely spot and wandered into a chalkland meadow, which was bursting with colour; purple, pink, yellow, blue, white and cream wildflowers. Dainty little blue harebells nestled among the short grass, beautiful.
Take care.
Sylvia
http://journals.aol.co.uk/sylviam4000/YeOldeEnglishPosy/

Anonymous said...

What a nice photo! I saw it on a grey dayand it just seemed to blend in with the sky, that day. I like it!  I am looking forward to going againand hearing it! It does look like a giant cobra,s head in the distance.

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic picture. I need to venture North!
http://journals.aol.co.uk/irisclyde/LaDolceVita