Thursday 12 July 2007

Slugs

A neighbour gave me poppy plants to put out this year, they began fine and all was well till the rains began, and then, the slugs came out. Built like anacondas they snaked their way across my garden until the reached the poppies, and the begonias and everything else they encountered. Crunch, crunch crunch, till all was no more. I am now left with sweet peas dangling from a hanging basket and lobelia. Plus campanula which is now like a weed growing from every crack it can find. Was shifting a plant pot in my back yard and got stung with a nettle which is prolifically growing, couldnt see it for all the goddam weeds.

Does anyone know a fine weather spell? The only weather spells I know are rain ones and we've had far too much of that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Slugs and snails....Bah!   They have cropped the heads off my Petunias and all I have left are stems.  There's not a lot I can do about them as we have a pond as well as plenty of wet weather for them to go slip sliding around.   I call them the 'Munch Bunch'  There are too many of them for me to bother with now as we also have a beck running through our garden....so I plant campanulas and others that they dont like.   Its been trial and error for me over the years but I'm getting there.  Strange though....they never bothered with my poppies.   Jeanie

Anonymous said...

Slugs have been a pest this spring and summer they ate all my dhalias till there was only a stump left. Have had to resort to slug pellets this summer which I don't like using.   Sorry don't know any sunny spells.   Love Joan.