Monday, 17 May 2004

sunday the 16th

I was on Manchester Road station for just before noon.As I sat there in the glorious sunshine, listening to the birds twittering away in the trees, on the opposite side of the platform I saw a bright yellow butterfly. It could have been a brimstone but was too far away for me to be sure.The eastbound train arrived on time and 20 mins later, after a stifling journey, I was in Hebden Bridge. It was a relief to get out into the fresh air again.

A short walk along the canal towpath took me to a cafe by the Alternative technology centre. After a much needed glass of coke I took the road past where Fosters Mill used to be and then the riverside path leading up to Midgehole.Even in the woods it was still very warm, I didnt need the warm jacket I had brought with me. After the weir I took a steep path through a gap in the wall and soon was quite breathless. All around the woods were carpeted with bluebells. At one stage when I was resting I heard an owl hoot, something must have disturbed it. Eventually I reached the old methodist chapel at Heptonstall, walked round to the side of it and then along a path through some fields parallel with the main road.They were quite yellow with dandelions and buttercups. I rejoined the main road and then walked down into the village. Far away in the distance I could see the transmitter at Emley Moor. It was with relief when I finally sat down outside the pub with a lovely cold drink, watching and listening to the swallows as they flew from roof to roof to telegraph wires.

 

To get back to hebden Bridge I walked down the Buttress, much easier going down than up I hasten to add.In the park everyone was laid out in the hot sunshine. As my train back home wasnt for ages I then walked along the canal as far as Mytholm, and took a short walk up through the woods, circling back to near the church of St John the Great.

 

C01BM

My train was 18 mins delayed but I was in no hurry to get back, it had been a glorious day in some of the most beautiful countryside in England.

2 comments:

davethesod said...

At long last, and well over due, AOL has seen fit to add a way to search for other UK journals on the net... About bloody time... So today, I am putting this comment into as many journals as possible with a view to offering help with all your journals...

I have not yet read your journal in full, as I want to try and get through as many as possible today, but I have added it to my favourites for a proper read later on... If you'd like to pop along and take a gander at my J., here is the address (just copy and paste into the search bar at the top of your screen)...

http://journals.aol.co.uk/davethesod/WorldOfTheSod

Note: Remember to either save to your favourites folder or "Other Journals" section within your own journal for quick reference...

I have a large amount of journal tips and help there that AOL don't mention for some reason or other... It'd also be nice to see more people using the UK Journals message boards too as the UK one is always empty... You can find a link to it in my journal in the about me section if you wanted to perhaps post a message there to get things started... I will always be popping into the the message board to help you all with any questions you may have regarding your journals... Or, you could just share your journals address there to try and entice more readers to your journal... If you would like to search for other UK Journals, I have provided a link there also in the "About Me" section of my journal...

Anyway, I'm off in search of more UK journalers... I'll pop back and have another read later...

Bye for now...

smjr43 said...

Oh My!!!  The picture is absolutely breathtaking.  Autumn is my favorite time of year anyway.  I love the architecture.  Please keep posting pics, you are showing me a whole new world!!!!

Have a wonderful day!
http://journals.aol.com/Smjr43/Colorado