Friday 30 June 2006

Crickets

In addition to the 4 species of grasshopper in Lancashire ( of 13 species found in Britain), we have three species of buch cricket in Lancashire which are found in a few scattered localities. These are the Bog Bush Cricket, a nationally rare species found at Winmarleigh & Cockerham Mosses. The Oak Bush Cricket is known only from woodlands in the Ribble Valley. The Roesel's Bush Cricket is found at Fleetwood. More information is in the book "Wildlife of Lancashire" publisherd by the Wildlife Trust in 2004 (available online or via bookshops). Hope this helps.
 
This was the response I got from emailing the Wildlife Trust in east lancs. My area is nowhere near any of these, you would have at least thought they would have shown some enthusiasm. I have discovered an area not know before to be populated with crickets, I would have thought they would have asked me for an exact location, but no, they didnt. So, its now my area, plus a few neighbours in the know, if they want to know where it is they can look for themselves. The same goes for the place that a rare specimen of orchid grows, I first found it 11 years ago and they still grow there.If I tell it to the world then it will get trampled on.Ive no doubt that they think I am a silly woman who cannot tell a cricket from a grasshopper, I spent 6 years in the middle east and I can differentiate between the 2.
 

No comments: