Friday 22 February 2008

Starlings

My lovely starling family have been back over a week now. The first I knew about it was when I glanced up at the troughing and saw straw protruding, at first I though it was some old dead grass which the wind had dislodged, then out from the eaves flew a bird which landed on the roof opposite. Sure enough it was a starling. Would love to know where they go to in winter, North Africa, the south of France?

Last sunday being sunny and warm in the sun, me and Bill took an afternoons walk along the canal bank. In parts it was quite frozen, so we fed bread to the ducks en route. Having reached a modern housing estate, we left the tow path and walked down an avenue towards the river, noticed dandelions growing in profusion in one place. At the river several horse riders were exercising their beasts and a dog decided to have a swim. rather the dog than me!!!! We then joined the Burnley way to get to another district, should have crossed a field but we would have been above our ankles in water, so instead walked round by the road. Eventually we got back to the river again at a place which in the olden days had stepping stones across it. Nowadays there is a wooden bridge, much safer by far, but the old photos are more picturesque. It is a beautiful rural setting, so peaceful, and the mistiness only added the the ambience. My grandma told me how her grandfather had found arrow heads there in his youth, and it was rumoured that this was the place where the Battle of Brunanberg took place. Whether this is the place we will probably never know, but its hard to picture men killing one another in such lovely surroundings. From there we walked along to Padiham, was hoping I might see pheasants but didnt. However, I saw several from the train last week at a place near to Blackburn. Could see Gawthorpe Hall across the river, shrouded in mist like something from a gothic horror film. The hall is a National Trust property, but as yet I have never been in it. Once had a job interview for there, needless to say I was unsuccessful!!! Having finally reached Padiham, nether of us fancied a 4 mile walk home along a main road, fortunately a bus arrived after about 5 minutes.

The last lunar eclipse to be seen here for about 8 years was a non event, too much cloud cover, so saw nothing. NOT FAIR!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lovely entry today long time since you were on my alerts You do wonder why after many clear nights when we have a beautiful moon we get an eclipse and we see nothing. Its the same every time, I missed the one altogether this week as I forgot and it was a bit late for me to be up. Last night as we were getting ready for bed we stood and looked out at the moon behind the oak at the bottom of our garden (its not ours as it is just outside our garden but we always think of it as our big tree) and it looked like a scene from a spooky movie. It was lovely. Have a lovely weekend. Love Joan.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/jaymact1/JoansMusings/